Monday, September 24, 2012

Gelly Bags Freebie and Letter Linky


I was blessed this year with a class of 2 extremes: either super high or super low.....I know we all love these classes so much. We have completed our first 4 weeks of school and I am seeing such a huge difference between the "haves" (one who know their letters) and the "have nots" (the ones who don't even understand what those squiggly lines mean".

Every day when we are studying letters I find myself frustrated because I am either boring the high ones or going too fast and over the heads of the low ones. So, yes I address the needs of my students in small groups. Still, I have a handful that are REALLY struggling with letters......

One activity I use to help my strugglers with letter formation, id, and simply fine motor skills is "Gelly Bags". Gelly bags are super simple to make and use, yet highly effective when used correctly.


HOW TO MAKE: Pour colored hair gel (yeah the kind you put in your hair) in a Ziploc bag. I prefer to use the gallon-size bags because it allows you to use larger letters underneath. That is important for those struggling letter learners who are still working on fine motor control. Also, I suggest using the name-brand baggies because you don't want an accident mess everywhere. The name-brand baggies are thicker and more durable.

Simply pour the gel into the baggie (it uses nearly a whole bottle, but I usually pour about 3/4 of the bottle. You want enough to cover the whole bag when you flatten it, but not so much that the gel is too thick to see through. You also want to use a light-colored gel....The darker the gel - the harder it is to see the letter - defeating the whole purpose of the activity.....light pink, light yellow, light blue work great!

Next, squeeze ALL the air out of the bag. This is uber important. When all the air is out, zip the bag up. Fold the zipper down and tape it really good with duck tape or packing tape. Squish the bag flat. Bam!! You are done!

HOW TO USE: Choose a letter that you are teaching. Place the letter under the gelly bag. Model how kids should form the letter with their finger. Be sure to remind them to use the pad of their finger - not their finger tip. There is 2 very good reasons for this: 1. Fingernails can snag the bag. (Trust me...I speak from experience) and 2. Using the pad of their finger is more effective for proper muscle memory.


I promised a freebie and I shall deliver. It is SUPER simple....but I needed simple, clear, and large letters to use with my "gelly bags". I figured if I needed them surely someone else would too.

Click HERE to grab the gelly bag letters:



So, what is your FAVORITE Letter id/Letter formation activity??

Linky Time:
If you are a blogger please post about one of your favorite letter id/formation activities and link up!! You can use the linky picture at the top.....(If you aren't a blogger - no problem ......leave your idea in the comments! I can't wait to learn lots of great ways to teach letters!!


No comments:

Post a Comment