Saturday, August 4, 2012

Birthday Bash!




Ok, so hopefully by now you know that I am guest blogging for Elizabeth over at Mrs. Hodge and Her Kindergarten Kids today.


If you haven't seen my post about celebrating birthdays in the classroom - please start over there first and then come back here for another SPECIAL SURPRISE! There's a couple of FREEBIES there for you to grab and I don't want you to miss out!

If you've already been over there and are now back to collect on the 3rd FREEBIE - you are in the right place! Here is it.......

If you are like me, you can't spend TONS of time celebrating birthdays because you have to meet SUPER high expectations for your kinders.  I have to make the things I do fit with what we need to be learning so I'm not wasting alot of instructional time.

I created a game to play with my special birthday child (and his/her guided reading buddies) that will keep the focus on academics while also being a special "treat".

       

In this game, each child chooses a character and works to earn the number of candles that equal his/her age. For example, if you are 5 - you need to earn 5 candles first to win. If you are 6 - you need to earn 6 to win. Some of the cupcakes have candles - some don't. Earn your number of candles to WIN!! 

How do you earn candles? 

By reading the word wall words on the cards. I have included both kindergarten AND first grade words!


No comments:

Post a Comment